Menu

What is calories?

The following article will explain the definition of calories based on food problems and practice.

Definition of calories (calories)

“Calories” are a unit of energy. Suppose, when we want to increase the temperature of 1 liter of water to 1 ° C, we need 1kCal of energy. So if we have 1 ml of water (corresponding to the amount of water contained in 1/5 teaspoon – ie 1 cc), then 1 cal is needed to heat that amount of water by 1 ° C. As for electrical equipment , we need to charge the device to generate energy, making the device operable / movable.

People – in order to maintain life, energy is indispensable. And this source of energy is born primarily from the food we feed into our body every day.

The relationship between calories and body fat

Assuming you get 100 kcal through your food intake, and you exercise, operate … and consume 100 kcal, your body’s energy has been completely metabolized, no longer exists in muscle. Your body too. But if you cannot consume all 100 kcal absorbed, the rest will be converted into fat (body fat).

How to reduce 1kg of fat

So, how many calories do you need to lose 1 kg (1,000 g) of stored fat?
Because 1 g of fat corresponds to 9 kcal. So 9000 kcal calories are needed to consume 1 kg of fat. Fat stored in our body in the form of “fat cells”. However, not all are pure fats. About 80% of fat cells are pure fats (oil patches), and the remaining 20% are made up of many different substances, forming moisture and cells.
Based on this, to consume 1 kg of fat, the necessary energy (calorie) is 9 kcal x 1000 g x 80% = about 7200 kcal. In other words, the energy you need to consume to reduce 1 kg of fat in a month is 7200 ÷ 30 = 240 kcal, which is 240 kcal per day. If you can consume 240 kcal of energy a day, or if you have a diet, you can lose 1 kg of fat in a month.
For example, visualization, 240 kcal is equivalent to “1 piece of scones” or 1 can of 500mL bottles of wine, or if it is fresh beer, is equivalent to 1/2 cup (for a male body 171cm tall, weighing 70 kg in the age range of 30-40) ※ 2, to consume 240 kcal, they can apply one of the following movement methods: “walking about 50 minutes”, “or jogging for about 27 minutes” (※ first).

※ 1 Based on the results of the National Health and Nutrition Survey Report, 2011 Health Survey
※ 2 From the Japanese food standard component table 2010

How will our appearance change if we lose 1 kg of fat?

Even if we loaded 7200 kcal into the body, it was only equivalent to 1 kg of fat. If we say that we lose 1 kg of fat, then in terms of data, it seems that there are not too many changes. However, if you lose 1 kg of fat, your appearance will change dramatically.

In terms of numbers, the 1 cm change in waist circumference appears in the standard male appearance, low fat density distribution, and the amount of fat is more or less dependent on its weight. So it is possible to imagine that 1 kg of fat can be contained in 2 bottles with a capacity of 500 ml and 3.5 bottles of lactic acid drinks (as shown).

So if you lose 1 kg of fat, your body will become more neat and visible, which will be very different from the original.

By recognizing the amount of calories you need to absorb and need to consume, you can completely adjust your weight and body shape through exercise and proper diet. Remember that “energy balance” is extremely important, thereby helping you to have a good body and a healthy lifestyle.

Top